Top Questions to Ask a Realtor During the Home Search
To ensure that the homebuying process goes off without a hitch, you’ve got to ask the right questions. Visit to learn which ones to be sure to ask your realtor.
For many potential homeowners, working with a realtor is a critical part of the home buying process. Like any personal or professional relationship, you want to ensure you and your realtor are a good fit by asking plenty of questions. Even after you find a realtor that you like, the questions should continue as you navigate the purchase of a home. If you’re not sure what to ask, just keep reading! This article will cover some of the top questions to ask your realtor while searching for a new home.
Top Questions to Ask a Realtor Before Starting the Search
Keep in mind that you should ensure a solid match with your realtor before you agree to work with them. Ask plenty of questions ahead of time, and take your time ensuring they’re a great fit. Don’t just choose the first person in your online search, or you may miss out on finding a perfect match. We’ll give you some specific examples of questions below:
- Do you have any referrals or recommendations? It is a great idea to speak with past customers before hiring a new realtor so you can get a sense of the caliber of service you can expect.
- When are you available? You’ll want to ensure your realtor can work with your schedule and will be available when you need them.
- What professionals do you have in your network? One of the best things about working with a realtor is that it gives you access to a network of lawyers, insurance agents, general contractors, cleaners, and other service people who can help with your new home.
Top Questions to Ask a Realtor While Walking Through A Home
When you walk through a home, you get a chance to look beyond the surface. To assist you in making an informed decision about whether or not a home is right for you, here are some questions to ask.
- How long has the property been sitting on the market? Properties that have been on the market for a while may have significant problems. Conversely, a home that’s new to the market might not be available for long, so you’ll have less time to make an offer.
- How much do nearby homes cost? You can determine if a particular home is reasonably priced by checking the prices of comparable homes in the neighborhood. If the home you’ve got your eyes on is overpriced, you can then begin planning price negotiations.
- Does the property have a homeowners association? HOAs can have strict rules and increase your monthly payments substantially.
Top Questions to Ask a Realtor Before Going Under Contract on A Home
Once you’ve decided on a home, it’s time to dig a little deeper. Here are some of the questions you should ask before going under contract.
- Why is the seller leaving the house? People move for many reasons, which can impact how open they are to negotiating. They may be willing to accept a lower offer if they’re moving for time-sensitive reasons, like a job relocation.
- What is included with the sale of the house? To avoid disappointment, ensure you know exactly what is included in the sale of a home. Ask about lighting fixtures, cabinets, sheds, or anything else that you want to be included in the sale.
- Are there any problems with the home that need to be disclosed? Sellers are legally obligated to disclose some hazardous or undesirable conditions. However, asking them outright may help you avoid even more issues ahead of time.
Top Questions to Ask a Realtor Before Closing on Your New Home
Closing on your new home is the final step in the home buying process. So naturally, there are several questions you should ask to make sure things go smoothly. Here are some examples to get you started.
- How much will my closing costs be? Before closing, ask your realtor to give an estimate of your closing costs. That way, there won’t be any surprises come closing day.
- When do I schedule my pre-closing inspection? The final walk-through is your last chance to ensure the home is in good condition and that the seller has completed any agreed-upon repairs.
- How much will my monthly mortgage payment be? Before sealing the deal, take a moment to ensure you can afford that monthly payment.
Educating yourself on the home buying process is the best way to ensure everything runs smoothly, from start to finish. And if you ever need a little more assistance understanding the home purchase process, check out eHome America's Homebuyer Education course. It will help you form a solid foundation of knowledge to draw from throughout the home purchase process.