How To Save Money on Moving Expenses
Moving expenses can really do a number on your wallet, but they don’t have to! Visit to learn how to save on your moving costs.
How To Save Money on Moving Expenses
Moving to a new home is one of the most challenging and frustrating parts of the home buying process. Between movers, packing, and transportation, it can feel like there’s one hidden expense after another. No one wants to spend more money than they have to, so in this article, we’ll walk you through a few ways you can save money on your move.
Although it's easy to overlook, the packing process can easily add up. You’ll need to get boxes and packing materials and figure out how to sift through all of your belongings. To minimize your costs, keep the following packing tips in mind:
Find Free Boxes
If you want free boxes, go to Craigslist or Facebook and type in “free boxes” to see who’s giving them away in your area. You can also check your local grocery stores, bookstores, and liquor stores and ask if you can take some boxes off their hands. And don’t forget to ask around to see if your friends and family have any spare boxes lying around. There’s no reason to pay for boxes nowadays.
Think Outside The Box For Packing Materials
Packing paper absorbs shock and helps keep your possessions safe. Although it’s highly effective in preventing damage to your items, it is another potential cost. Instead of packing paper, try swapping it out for items you already have or can get for free. Need some suggestions? Here are some excellent substitutions:
DIY or Hire Someone Cheap
Packing your own belongings will save you money and give you complete control over how your possessions are packed. But if that’s not an option, hire someone to pack your things at an affordable rate. To save the most money, don’t say yes to the first option – consider several options to find the best deal. You can save even more by asking or hiring a friend or family member to help you pack.
Sell, Donate, Or Throw Away Unwanted Possessions
The fewer belongings you have, the less you’ll have to pay for packing. Try downsizing before your move. In addition to saving you money, you’ll be able to fill your new home with items you love.
Minimize the Cost of Shipping or Moving Belongings
Whether you’re planning a local or long-distance move, shipping your belongings is where costs tend to add up the most. So below, we’ll examine a few ways to save on shipping and moving expenses.
- Storage PODS - Storage PODS are small storage containers that you rent on a monthly basis. They allow ample storage space and security in case you end up leaving your belongings unattended at any time. Since they’re small, they are affordable on any budget.
- Shipping by freight train or commercial truck - Both commercial trucks and freight trailers are available for just a fraction of the cost of a moving company.
- Moving companies - Although they’re pricey, moving companies save you time and energy during your move. If you’re considering using a moving company, get quotes from multiple companies to save some coins.
- Move during the off-season - Many moving companies and truck rentals increase their prices during the peak moving season (from April to September). If you can, plan to move between October and May. That way, you can take advantage of lower rates for moving services.
Save on Labor
Another major moving-related cost is labor. Movers pack, load, and unload your possessions, which can cost thousands. Want to learn how to save money on labor-related shipping and moving costs? Just follow these easy tips.
- Do it yourself - The easiest way to save money on labor costs is to do everything you can yourself. Not only will you save money, but you’ll be able to decide exactly how your items are packed and shipped.
- Get your friends and family on board - Another way to cut labor costs is to reach out to your friends and family to see if any of them can help you with your move. They’ll likely help for free.
- Utilize U-Haul for independent contractors to move - Renting a U-Haul is much more cost-efficient than hiring a professional moving company. Even if you hire loaders and someone to drive the truck, you’ll end up paying less than you would with a professional mover.
- Hire a professional moving company - Professional movers are highly efficient and have the entire moving process down pat. They can save you time during your move, which ultimately saves you money. Professional moving services are also insured, which means they’ll replace items that get lost or broken.
So, there you have it! Moving is costly, but luckily there are steps you can take to reduce your moving expenses. If you’d like to find out more ways to save, check out the post-purchase and money management courses on eHome America’s site. Moving to a new home is a big decision, and we hope this article has given you some insight into how you can keep your moving costs low.
What's Your Reaction?